Friday, December 27, 2013

Fathers are Different

This is a different kind of post. It's something on my mind that needs to come out on loudspeaker.

Some of you are aware that while I was wadding through this process to get a diagnosis my Father was in the hospital in ICU.

For a few days I was able to silence my panicked rat while I drive to Denver to support my fathers care. He was removed from the ventilator on Thanksgiving day and started a couple week process of healing his lungs and those fun other things that happen when you are 73 and in the hospital.

On the 19th my Dad was released from the skilled nursing home to follow up with his PCP. He got sick the day before they released him but released him anyway. On the 20th his PCP said you don't need surgery. On the 23rd my sister took him into the ER with the same symptoms that he was originally seen back before Thanksgiving.

Today, the 27th, we is scheduled for surgery to fix a hiatal hernia that has a neat complication of causing a gastric volvulus. A flipping of the stomach or in essence trying to colic like a horse. This is not common in humans, my Dad truly loves horses.

Why is this post pertinent you might ask or you might have queued into the timeline. My Father, who I call Pop, knows nothing of my medical trip.

I didn't want to tell him while he was healing. Then he got released and was felling better and I was preparing to let go of my thin line. During this time I discovered that I couldn't tell my Pop. Not me. I needed someone else to tell him his baby girl was diagnosed with cancer, cut her boobs off and is healing nicely at home. I just couldn't tell him. I had no issue telling my girlfriends or my close male friends but I just couldn't tell my Dad, Pop, Father.

My stepmother has stepped up to the plate to pick the best time to tell him. Therefore, I write this today so he knows I thought of him and maybe give him understanding to why I hid "it" from him when he reads my trip report.

Please extend your energy and love to cover my Dad as he goes in for surgery today. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments:

Post a Comment