Thursday, January 9, 2014

Needed?

I checked in with the young secretary at my chiropractic office today on a previous conversation topic, her insurance. I inquired, since I hadn't seen her in a few weeks, if she and her family had sorted out their health insurance. She previously shared that she has a health concern that requires frequent prescription drugs and was needing to get on to some insurance with the new insurance laws going into place in 2014.

She spoke about how expensive insurance was, even under the new laws, as I handed her my Flex account card to pay for my visit since my insurance does not cover this provider. I agreed that it is expensive and we spoke briefly about my past few weeks and what might have happened if I didn't have insurance. The insurance I have because I have a job that helps make it affordable. My job which is not a small business.

The insurance that I hardly use because I'm healthy. I use my insurance for, well lets see, nothing more than insurance. I use chiropractic, not covered. I use acupuncture, not covered. I use other forms of alternative and complementary care, not covered. Yet, I have insurance.

Even with all the frustrations I have had with my recent diagnosis and utilizing insurance I'm glad I had it. I've used it and gladly passed the white shinny card across many a desk these past few weeks. I've made many a call to clarify my benefits and or solve an issue and I'm still glad I have it.

I'm not sure what I would do if I was self employed or worked for a company that was small enough that it didn't need to assist in providing health insurance. I'm sure I would check in to medicaid but that isn't an option in all states now that the laws changed and some opted out. Who knows, before when I've been in the situation I just went without insurance. Now that isn't an option for me or others.

When I get my explanations of benefits in the mail they are like twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining just how much money I saved because I have this insurance carrier! I don't want to be brought before I judge for my soap box view of insurance and health care at this time so I will just leave you with the above to ponder.

I'm glad I had and have insurance. I will continue to hold insurance in the future if for no more than a fly swatter toward the unknown. I look forward to looking back at all the changes and smiling.

PS. This week I've used chiropractic care 2 x's, massage, acupuncture and still spent less than what my one visit to the doc's office and my one trip to the pharmacy for my narcotic prescription will cost my insurance company.

No comments:

Post a Comment